Thursday, October 18, 2007

Little Children

One of the joys of having survived my "incurable" cancer these (almost) three years is the extra time I have had to be around little children. Naturally, I am especially fond of the four boys you see in the photo with me on the left side of this page, but I am gaining a new appreciation of little children in general. That may sound odd from a fellow who helped raise two boys of his own, but it just seems as though I have most recently come to appreciate little children more than ever before.

Is this just something that comes from getting older?

I just love being around little children!

I really don't know, but I can tell you that the older I get, the more I seem to appreciate kids. Maybe it's their innocence - or not. They can be downright scheming and devilish. Perhaps it's their inherent happiness or the joy of playing with others - or not. Often times they cry and pout, and sometimes they don't play well with others at all! Maybe it's their lack of formal learning - although everything they do is a learning experience. Their impressionable little minds soak up EVERYTHING - good or not so good. At times they exhibit total honesty and goodness. Yet no one has to teach them how to lie, or to take something that doesn't belong to them.

Curious creations - little children. Their comments can break your heart - or bring uproarious laughter.

They can drive you crazy during their waking hours, and yet you can stand in silent adoration while watching them sleep. Oklahoma Pastor Shane Waldrop once said, "Did you ever notice how they look like little angels when they're sleeping? God does that so you won't kill them in their sleep!" There may be something to that...

When diagnosed with incurable fourth stage cancer, one of my first concerns was that I would not live to see my grandchildren grow and mature. One was three, one was four and the third was born the week my malignancy was diagnosed. The fourth wasn't born until I was into my first course of Chemotherapy. These were kids I barely knew and selfishly I wanted to build a long relationship with them and I wanted them to remember me!

God has richly blessed me to have these three "extra" years with the grandsons, with my boys and their wives, and with Linda. I just want to publicly give Him thanks today for that gracious gift. Every day is special and I relish every visit with the little ones, every photo or video image of them, and every conversation with them. Oh, how I treasure those moments! I am not going to bore you today with all the profound and cute things my grandsons say, but I do want to share some funnies with you regarding some of the funny things that kids have said. This list was shared with me via email from Jim Fugate. You may have seen some of them before. If so, move on. If not, I hope you get a good chuckle from them.

As Art Linkletter used to say, "Kids say the darnedest things!"

JACK (age 3)

was watching his Mom breast-feeding his new babysister. After
a while he asked: 'Mom why have you got two? Is one forhot and
one for cold milk?'

MELANIE (age 5)
asked her Granny how old she was. Granny repliedshe was so old she didn't
remember any more. Melanie said, 'If youdon't remember you must look in the back
of your panties. Mine say fiveto six.'

STEVEN (age 3)

hugged and kissed his Mom good night. 'I love you so much that when you die I'm going to bury you outside my bedroomwindow.'

BRITTANY (age 4)

had an earache and wanted a pain killer. She tried in vain to take the lid off the
bottle. Seeing her frustration,her Mom explained it was a child-proof cap
and she'd have to open it forher. Eyes wide with wonder, the little girl asked:
'How does it know it's me?'

SUSAN (age 4)

was drinking juice when she got the hiccups.'Please don't give me this juice again,' she
said, 'It makes my teeth cough.'

DJ (age 4) stepped onto the bathroom scale and asked: 'How much do I cost?'

MARC (age 4)

was engrossed in a young couple that were hugging and kissing in a restaurant.
Without taking his eyes off them, he asked his dad: 'Why is he whispering in her
mouth?'

CLINTON (age 5)
was in his bedroom looking worried. When his Mom asked what was troubling him, he replied, 'I don't know what'll happen with this bed when I get married. How will my wife fit in?'

JAMES (age 4)

was listening to a Bible story. His dad read: 'The man named Lot was warned to take
his wife and flee out of the city but his wife looked back and was turned to
salt.' Concerned, James asked:'What happened to the flea?'

TAMMY (age 4) was with her
mother when they met an elderly,rather wrinkled woman her Mom knew. Tammy looked at her for a while and then asked, 'Why doesn't your skin fit your face?'

The Sermon I think one Mom will never forget.... this particular Sunday sermon...'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face.'Without you, we are but dust...' He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four year old girl voice,'Mom,
what is butt dust?'

Kids are amazing. Many years ago, we picked up a lady on the way to church. She was a friend and co-worker of Linda's and she was going through a difficult time in her marriage. We stopped the car and she climbed in the back seat with our two boys. Jay was looking out the window and didn't pay much attention to the new adult who had embarked. Benji, on the other hand, studied this lady with great fascination. We had driven a mile or so, making the usual small talk and Benji continued to give her his rapt attention and he said not a word. Finally, she looked at him and said, "How are you this morning, Benji?"

"Fine" he said. Then he announced in a very serious tone, "My dad's growing a moustache too!

You have got to love little kids...

No comments: