Tuesday, October 2, 2007

"I Love My Church Sunday"

We're having a special emphasis this Sunday at Westmoreland Baptist Church. Here is an article I wrote in the October edition of "The Messenger" our church's monthly newsletter. The column is reprinted below for many of you who may not be on our church mailing list. It was addressed to the members of Westmoreland Baptist, but in truth it probably applies to many other churches in America. Maybe even in your church.

“I Love My Church Sunday"

Do you love your church? Were you baptized in this building? Were you married here? Did your parents bring you here as a child? If not, as a visitor did you find a friendly welcome from the people here? Do you enjoy the music? Maybe even the preaching and teaching of the pastor? Have the members been there for you in times of grief and loss? A church family is a precious thing to have but sadly, like so many other blessings, it is often taken for granted.

If YOU love Westmoreland Baptist Church I want to ask you to join me and every other member in demonstrating that love on Sunday morning, October 7th. We are designating that day to be “I Love My Church!” Sunday. I want to ask each and every member of Westmoreland Baptist Church, who is physically able, to be in your place on Sunday Morning, October 7th for a time of Celebration, Contemplation, and Consecration.

People are constantly telling me, “I love my church!” From some folks it’s pretty easy to believe because of their faithful support of the church in their attendance, participation in our ministries, and financial support. But on appearances, with some folks, the “I love my church” statement has a hollow ring to it. As the old saying goes, “Actions speak louder than words”.

Our church records show a total of 672 “resident” members of which about half that number are considered “active” members. If that is the case, then why on any given Sunday, does our worship attendance only total 30% of our “resident” members? Clearly 40% of our “active” members are no where to be found. What’s wrong with this picture? To further complicate the problem, many of our members seem to forget the financial needs of the church during the summer months, making it very difficult to meet our financial obligations, and lessening the amount that we can give to missions.

We know that some of our elderly and infirm members are not physically able to attend. That is a given. Also, work situations sometime have an adverse effect on the attendance of others. Vacations hit us hard in the summer months, and that is to be expected. Yet 40% of our active members missing seems to be pretty much a year round pattern. Lest anyone think this is a particular problem for our church only, I would hasten to add that other pastors tell me this is the case in their churches as well.

There are a number of opinions that can be offered to explain this phenomenon, and there is probably some validity to several of them. However, I believe that the primary reason for the lack of attendance is that it’s easy to “get out of the habit”. Christians, like everyone else, are creatures of habit – whether they be good habits or bad habits. People can always come up with excuses as to why they are not attending church, but when pressed on the subject, most will admit, that they are simply “excuses”. As a pastor for nearly four decades I have come to the conclusion that people will generally do what they want to do. They will do those things that they deem important. After all, Jesus said “"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. “ (Matthew 6: 21)

I hope you treasure the gift of Westmoreland Baptist Church. I believe we have a great number of folks who love God, and love their church. Let’s prove that love with action on Sunday morning, October 7th. My challenge to you is that EVERY MEMBER be in God’s house. Come expecting the blessings of God – you won’t go away disappointed!
I was glad when they said to me, "Let us go into the house of the LORD. ' – Psalm 122: 1

Isn't it a shame that we would even have to consider such an idea as a "I Love My Church Sunday"? EVERY DAY ought to be an "I Love My Church Day" for the people of God.

No comments: