Monday, June 22, 2009

First Evening of SBC Pastor's Conference


Arrived in Louisville just in time to get checked in and head over to the Fair and Exposition Center for most of the evening session of the Pastor's conference. Got registered and into the hall in time to hear the last part of J.D. Greear's message. The worship times were good and I had opportunity to visit with a number of friends.


Some of the familiar faces I saw and had opportunity to visit with were Dr. & Mrs. Preston Nix from New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary; Parkersburg, WV Pastor Todd Hill and family; Dan and Tara Byrd (now from Florida); Pastor Ricky Kirk from South Point, OH; Paul and Regina Badgett from Pikeville, KY; and fellow NOBTS Trustee, Don Currence, who was running the registration area. I had a long visit with Pastor Ken Owens from Bluefield, WV. Asa and Lydia Greear and family stopped by to say hello, and I sat with Paul Harris and Darrell Clark. I also saw Pastor Don and Tammy Knotts from WV, but didn't get close enough to say hello.


Mac Brunson of Fist Baptist Church of Jacksonville brought a powerful message. He talked about how to deal with adversity and opposition. I'm sure he spoke with great personal experience. I have only heard Brunson (pictured here) personally on two occasions and have been very impressed both times.


My biggest disappointment was not being able to get back into the hall in time to hear Chuck Colson. I had made a quick trip to the restroom after Brunson's message, and I ran into Ken Owens out in the lobby. Last time I had seen Ken was a few weeks ago in Matewan, WV and we were both covered with mud and sweat from Disaster Relief work there. Ken and I travelled to the Philippines together a few years ago and I just fell in love with this "gentle giant" of a guy. Well, our conversation was so long, and we solved so many problems, that the time got away from me and I didn't get to hear Colson!


Some great speakers on tap for today. I am looking forward to hearing Fred Luter, Mike Huckabee, and Dennis Swanberg (among others). Also looking forward to good fellowship and visiting the LifeWay store in the exhibit area. Actual convention business begins Wednesday AM. Will take some time out this afternoon to run over to the airport to pick up my son, Jay and his music minister, Daniel Savage from New Orleans. Looking forward to seeing both of them!


Time to get my shower and head over for the convention center.

No comments: