Sunday, December 30, 2007

Be It Resolved...

2008 is just around the corner. The last three New Year holidays have been times of uncertainty for our family. There were many questions. What would the new year hold for us? Would the cancer return? More surgery? More of the nasty chemo? And on and on...

The truth of the matter is that NONE of us know what the future holds. We have no assurance of being around to see the ball drop in Time Square tomorrow night - much less the next 366 days. (2008 is a leap year) Knowing this, we still plan for the future. My calendar is quickly filling up for the new year. Several of those appointments will be at the Ashland-Bellefonte Cancer Center.

Every three months my oncologist orders a CT scan of my abdomen. Twice per year he requires a full body PET scan. Every month I have blood work done and the chemotherapy nurses flush my Medi-Port to keep it operative in the event I will need to take a third course of chemo. All of these are precautions that Dr. Jain feels are necessary since "the cancer is in remission now, but could appear anywhere at any time." While I know that this is possible, and according to conventional wisdom, very likely, I have a peace about the whole situation.

The major reason there is no fear is that I have turned it over to God. He is in control. Not Dr. Jain. Not my family. Certainly not me! It's all in the hands of my Sovereign Heavenly Father.
Seeing that none of us know what tomorrow holds for us, isn't it comforting to know who holds tomorrow? God has a plan for each of our lives (see the scripture verse located at the top of the left hand column of this blog page). I rest secure in knowing that He knows the plans He has for me. Therefore, I will not fear the unknown. None of us who are Christ followers should ever fear the unknown. Why? Because the unknown to us is certainly known to Him.

Are you making any New Year's resolutions for 2008? Normally I don't, but this year I am. I am resolved that unless future tests show the malignancy to be active, I don't intend to mention this illness in this blog again.

One dear elderly lady asked me some time ago if I am "claiming my healing". Well, I claimed my ULTIMATE healing on March 15, 1969. That's the night I asked Jesus to come into my heart and trusted His sacrifice on Calvary to pay the debt for my sin. Therefore I am claiming Him as "The Great Physician". That should be sufficient for my "healing".

So, basically that's it. I won't be writing about this illness any more unless God allows it to come back into my life. That doesn't mean I will not continue to testify of God's wonderful work in my life. In fact, I shared that testimony yesterday with an old friend who was recently diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus. He needed to hear it. Others will too. I appreciate the prayers of all of my dear friends, and I do hope you will continue to pray for us. I'm just resolving not to dwell on these past three years any longer. There is far to much more to be done. To quote our dear sister in Christ, Veda Young, "I am not going to spend the rest of my life dying."

There is no time for that if we are to be busy about the work that the Lord has given us to do.

So, for the year 2008 (or however long God gives me) I'm taking the view of the Apostle Paul in Philippians 3: 13-14: "Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." (NKJV)

Have an Abundant new year in Christ!

No comments: