Thursday, September 20, 2018

I Finally Have Some Answers


   I promise that I will not use this forum just to air out information regarding my illness, but for the sake of my friends, literally half way around the world, allow me to share this update. 

     It was just over a month ago that routine tests on my kidneys revealed something "suspicious" in images of my liver. "Multiple lesions" appeared and more extensive scans were ordered. CT Scans verified the lesions and the fear was that my metastatic colon cancer of 14 years ago had returned to my liver.

     Coming off surgery and 30 radiation treatments earlier this year for Merkel Cell Carcinoma on my head and neck, this new revelation regarding lesions in my liver was most disconcerting. Having been free of the earlier cancer that had ravaged my liver 12 years ago, naturally I dreaded the thought of it's return and the possibilities of more grueling chemotherapy.

      This past month has been tough, waiting as they say, for the other shoe to drop. Although at peace in knowing that God is in control, the waiting for tests and diagnosis is arguably the toughest part of disease. The not knowing is difficult.

     Well, yesterday the mysteries were solved as I met with my Oncologist, Dr. Kirti Jain, for results of the recent PET scan and liver biopsy.  The results were a mixed bag.  Good news and bad news.

     The good news is that the metastatic colon cancer had NOT returned. After all those years in remission - the healing still holds!  As a result of the no colon cancer diagnosis I will not be subjected to chemotherapy. And for that I can say "Thank you Lord". 

     The bad news, however, is that the biopsy on the lesions in my liver showed it to be the Merkel Cell Carcinoma which has metastasized from the original tumor removed from my forehead in February. So, even though extensive plastic surgery was done to my forehead, and 30 radiation treatments to my head and neck were done - the cancer has popped up again, this time in my liver.

     Merkel Cell Carcinoma is a small cell skin cancer (similar to melanoma in that it can be deadly and can metastasize to other areas of the body).  It is a very rare malignancy but extremely aggressive.  You can read more about it here.  Furthermore, the chemotherapy that exists for Merkel Cell is highly ineffective. It seems to work early on, but then shows no effect at all.  More hopeful treatments for Merkel Cell involve immunotherapy.

     I will be undergoing an infusion twice per month designed to strengthen my body's immune system which in turn will (hopefully) impact the MCC and stifle its growth in my body.  Further good news is that the immunotherapy does not have the severe side effects of chemo.  There is no cure for MCC but hopefully my immune system will respond in a positive way.  Either way, God is in control and his Grace is sufficient for this - and any other circumstances I may face.

     Many of you have been lifting up prayer in my behalf. (some have promised me "positive vibes" but I really don't know what that is!)  I want to thank you for your prayers and hope you will continue to make intercession for me whenever I may come to your mind.  I am resigned to whatever God has in store for me, whether it be complete miraculous healing, or taking these immunotherapy infusions for the rest of my life. I am thankful I will not have to undergo the debilitating regimen of chemo as I did twice before!

     So, my plan is to continue on with my ministry and daily activities, thanking God for His blessings and doing all I can in the days and years I may have remaining.  When it all comes down to the final analysis - that should always be our desire.

9 comments:

David Duckworth said...

Praying for you my friend! Today is the day of salvation let us rejoice and be glad in it!

Ray Stephens said...

CJ, find out if you would be a candidate for Proton Therapy. See http://lp.provisionproton.com/cancer/?keyword=proton%20therapy&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpO7qodXJ3QIVE47ICh0SpAh4EAAYASAAEgIosvD_BwE

Will be praying for you!

Ray

David Clark said...

Praise God 4 the good news!!! I am agreeing with you in prayer my Brother 4 God's will 2 b done BUT IF it is His will, 2 touch u & heal u.
Either way 4 God to enable u 2 keep on keeping on 4 the Lord!!! Love u in the Lord Brother!!

David Clark said...

Praise God 4 the good news!!! I am agreeing with you in prayer my Brother 4 God's will 2 b done BUT IF it is His will, 2 touch u & heal u.
Either way 4 God to enable u 2 keep on keeping on 4 the Lord!!! Love u in the Lord Brother!!

Patrick Elliott said...

"...Either way, God is in control and his Grace is sufficient for this - and any other circumstances I may face."

I love this comment C.J.

Susan and I will definitely pray for you, you wife and your boys!

I love you brother!

Patrick

Bob Cleveland said...

When my prostate cancer returned ... after ten years ...earlier this year, I had a battery of tests. On the way home, God seemed to speak to me and pointed out that those in the faith should feel honored that God trusts us to live a life of faith, in His service, despite the cancer. And all along, He has said "Trust Me".

When I saw a medical oncologist in June, she told me they'd just approved, in February, a drug to treat my form of non-metastatic prostate cancer. It cost around $12,000 a month and God was good to his promise, He, along with my drug insurance and the Alliance Foundation, 2 months' of the drug at no cost to me. But the side effects were such that I was of no use to anybody, especially not God, so I told Him I wanted my remaining years to be as useful to Him as possible, be they 10 years on Erleada, or 3-4 years without it. The answer I got from Him was:

"Trust me."

So I am, rejoicing at HIs love all the while.

Feel honored, friend.

Bob Cleveland said...

When my prostate cancer returned ... after ten years ...earlier this year, I had a battery of tests. On the way home, God seemed to speak to me and pointed out that those in the faith should feel honored that God trusts us to live a life of faith, in His service, despite the cancer. And all along, He has said "Trust Me".

When I saw a medical oncologist in June, she told me they'd just approved, in February, a drug to treat my form of non-metastatic prostate cancer. It cost around $12,000 a month and God was good to his promise, He, along with my drug insurance and the Alliance Foundation, 2 months' of the drug at no cost to me. But the side effects were such that I was of no use to anybody, especially not God, so I told Him I wanted my remaining years to be as useful to Him as possible, be they 10 years on Erleada, or 3-4 years without it. The answer I got from Him was:

"Trust me."

So I am, rejoicing at HIs love all the while.

Feel honored, friend.

Unknown said...

Prayers “coach CJ” as Noah says best!

Unknown said...

I am setting here trying to think of something clever, smart and revolutionary....all that comes is Amazing Grace.