Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Points to Ponder



These are just some things I am pondering on a Tuesday morning.





It's halfway through September, and for the first time since the first cutting of the spring, I have actually been able to go more than 6 or 7 days between grass mowings. This spring and summer have seemed exceptionally wet. (I haven't checked the official precipitation records, but I know the grass has acted like it's been on steroids this year). Usually by late July or August the vegetation in my yard (I have a "yard", not a "lawn") is very dry. It is just now beginning to have that August look to it.





*******



Today is the first anniversary of the major financial crisis that has caused my retirement fund to tank. Funny how time flies when you're having fun.

******



One would have had to have been vacationing in some cave with Osama Bin Laden to have missed this week end's outburst by Serena Williams over a questionable call at the U.S. Open. Bad behavior is not unique to professional athletes, but they are certainly in the spotlight and their actions are magnified by media coverage. When one of them "goes off" on an official, a fan, a coach, or a teammate it is splashed all over the print and broadcast media. Serena proved to have a world class temper to go with her tremendous talent. While watching her tirade, did it strike anyone besides me as ironic that her name is "Serena"?




*******





Speaking of bad behavior... Kanye West and Congressman Jim Wilson showed us that entertainers and politicians can surely be boorish as well. Both have issued an apology. The House of Representatives will probably pass a resolution condemning Wilson for yelling, "You lie!" during President Obama's address to Congress. I'm not condoning Wilson's lack of decorum, but many of his hypocritical colleagues, showed the same disdain for the House Rules, when they hooted, jeered, and booed, President Bush as he delivered the State of the Union Speech. What a bunch of jerks!





*******





My favorite college football team took a humiliating 52-10 beat down this past Saturday at the hands of the talented Hokies of Virginia Tech. We take on Bowling Green this coming Saturday. I almost dread to go. Not because of fear of another loss (although that certainly is a possibility) but because of some of the folks who sit behind me in the end zone stands. In the home opener two weeks ago, the two couples behind us were profane, rude, and from what I could tell, much more qualified to make coaching decisions than the professional staff who prowled the sidelines.


One of the guys yelled at Marshall's 6'-7" 295 lb. tackle (from a distance of 30 yards away), "You're stupid! You don't deserve to be out there! Get off the field!" I couldn't help but chuckle when my seatmate suggested that he might want to share his opinion with the young man, face to face after the game.





The two "ladies" were more obnoxious and profane than the men. By the end of the first half, I was just about ready to move when they decided they had endured enough. They informed their men they were headed back to the tailgate area where, thankfully, they remained for the remainder of the contest. One of the guys disappeared with them as well. I guess they hadn't been able to get adequately "likkered up" before the game.





That is precisely the kind of behavior that makes one hate to take his kids or grandchildren to the games. When confronted over their behavior, I have found that the attitude is usually"I paid for my ticket and I'll say what I please." That's mature. That's the kind of fans we really need.








*******








Having grown up in church as a PK and having been a pastor, myself, for nearly four decades, I never cease to be amazed at the attitudes exhibited by some who profess to be followers of Christ. None of us are perfect. In fact we are far from it. However, the pettiness, jealousy, and fault finding that some "church folks" exhibit is just unbelievable. Now I know none of that would ever happen in my church or your church, but it does happen - and it is ugly, and far below the standard of Christlike behavior. Over the years, I have witnessed a number of "my way or the highway" attitudes expressed by disgruntled church members. How sad. It's a cancer that sucks the joy out of others, and gives the cause of Christ a black eye.





*******





On the other side of the coin, we pastors are often guilty of wrong attitudes as well. Some pastors make the mistake of being aloof and feeling superior to the flock. Some foolishly become to close to certain members of the congregation and risk alienating other sheep. Some lose sight of the perspective that we are "under shepherds" and take on the role of CEO. For those, John Piper reminds us, "Brothers we are not professionals." Sometimes we allow ourselves to become weak spiritually as we actively minister to others, and neglect our own pursuit of intimacy with God. Sometimes we lose our tempers like Moses did with a rebellious congregation.





I've certainly made my share of mistakes and miscues. There have been a number of times I have had to repent before God over things I have said (or thought). I have also had to apologize to some of my fellow believers for hurts that I may have caused (unintentionally, but hurtful nonetheless). We pastors should always remember the words of a former fisherman, turned "shepherd" who put it this way, "Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly, not for dishonest gain but eagerly; nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock; and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away." (1 Peter 5:2-4)





*******





Linda, along with her sister, niece, and two other lady friends are enjoying their fourth day of vacation on Topsail Island, NC. She says the weather has been beautiful and she's having a wonderful time, unwinding on the deck, enjoying the sun and sea breezes. Here's hoping for a great rest of the week for all involved. She deserves it!








*******





Well, perhaps that's enough pondering for this morning. I do have to head for the office. Hope YOU have a great day!

No comments: