Monday, September 17, 2007

Two Memorable Encounters

I always enjoy Joe McKeever's Blog (http://www.joemckeever.com/) and try to keep up with it daily. Joe is the Director of Missions of the Baptist Association of Greater New Orleans. I have had the pleasure of meeting Joe two or three times through his association with my son, Jay, who is one of his pastors in BAGNO. Joe's posts are always varied and run the gamut from SBC and local association news and information to sports, politics, and all things New Orleans. He often mentions the corrupt politics of Louisiana which rivals and probably even surpasses the corrupt politics of West Virginia.

In today's post, Joe mentions that former Governor Dave Treen is seeking to have President Bush issue a pardon for former Governor Edwin Edwards, who has served five years of his federal conviction on racketeering charges. Since I had lived in Louisiana, during one of Governor Edwards terms of office, the mention of his name caught my attention. I met the Governor once when he was a regular visitor to Coleman Oldsmobile, in Baton Rouge, where I worked as a sales manager. Mr. Bob Coleman, who was a native of Port Arthur, Texas was the owner of the dealership and a close friend and financial supporter of the Governor. "The little Cajun", as Mr. Coleman called Edwards, often stopped by the dealership at the corner of Goodwood Boulevard and Airline Highway to confer with our boss.

Actually Edwards was the SECOND Governor of the Pelican State that I had the pleasure to meet. The first was former Governor Jimmie Davis. In fact, I met Governor Davis twice - about eight months apart - both times in the Theater Barber Shop on Florida Boulevard in Baton Rouge. Both were memorable encounters with a most interesting character.

Having just arrived in Baton Rouge in early October, 1978 I was living alone there in my rented home while Linda and the boys were still back here in West Virginia, tying up loose ends. They wouldn't move down there for another few weeks. I was badly in need of a haircut but had no idea where I might find a new barber who wouldn't butcher me. (As most guys know, finding a new dependable barber is one of the perils of moving) One of the fellows at the dealership suggested the Theater Barber Shop. It wasn't far away and it was easy to locate there beside the Broadmoor Theater. The owner of the shop, Jerry Johnson, was a personable fellow who, like most barbers, carried on a running conversation with the guy in the chair as well as with those who were waiting. The time passed quickly and soon I was in the chair.

While he had me turned toward the mirror someone entered the shop, out of the line of sight from the chair and took a seat in the waiting area. Jerry cheerfully greeted the newcomer with a "Hi Governor!" I thought that might be his standard greeting - much like Vernon Holbrook in Ashland, KY who greeted everyone by calling them "Cuz". The newcomer fell right into the conversation and I remember thinking what a melodious tone his voice had. The subject of the conversation centered around "the old days" and this fellow had a number of stories to tell about growing up in Jackson Parish in a large family the son of a sharecropper. He claimed he didn't have a bed to sleep on till he was nine years old. I sat there being clipped, fascinated by his stories, and captivated by his mellow voice.

When Jerry turned me around in the chair, I caught my first look at this guy and recognized him immediately. He WAS a governor! It was Jimmie Davis, the former "Singing Governor" of Louisiana. His face was recognizable to me as I had seen it for many years on record album covers in my Dad's Gospel Music collection. Jerry must have noticed the surprise on my face as he said, "C.J. I would like to introduce you to our former Governor, Jimmie Davis. Governor, this is C.J. Adkins who just moved here from West Virginia."

"West Virginia! Governor Davis said with a smile. "Home of my dear friend Robert Byrd." I mentioned that my grandfather had served with Senator Byrd in the West Virginia House of Delegates from 1946 to 1952 and he listened with what appeared to be genuine interest. Naturally I told him that my Dad had a number of his records back home and I had been hearing him sing gospel favorites for years. He seemed pleased.

Jimmie Davis was the 43rd and 47th Governor of Louisiana - serving his first term from 1944 to 1948 and his second from 1960 - 1964. Interestingly, both times he was succeeded in office by Earl K. Long, the younger brother of "The Kingfish" Huey P. Long - the legendary Governor and U.S. Senator who was assassinated in the Capitol Building in Baton Rouge. Davis was probably most famous for recording "You Are My Sunshine" which incidentally was designated as the official Louisiana State Song in 1977. During his second term of office, Davis built the Sunshine Bridge, spanning the Mississippi, the new Governor's Mansion, and the Toledo Bend Reservoir. All of those were controversial projects at the time, but later were applauded as good for the state. He is also remembered for riding his horse, "Sunshine" up the Capitol steps on his inauguration. Davis, like many other southern governors of the day was a segregationist, but he apologized for his actions later in life.

It was quite an honor for me to meet the former Governor. I called Dad nearly immediately upon getting back to the office. He was surprised and pleased as I was. That was a memorable encounter, but as Paul Harvey says, "Here is the rest of the story." It was June of the next year when I next happened to meet Governor Davis. Again it was at the barber shop. I was sitting in the waiting area with my six year old son, Jay. The door opened and in walked Governor Davis. I smiled and nodded to him, certainly having no reason to believe that he would have remembered me from that first encounter eight months earlier. He took one look at me and said, "Well, it's the young man from West Virginia! What was your name - Adams?"

"No sir but that's mighty close" I replied. "It's Adkins."

"Oh yes" he said ruefully. "I should have remembered that. I must be getting old" he chuckled. (He was nearly 80 years old at the time).

He glanced about the shop and noticed the large number of men and boys waiting for the barber and allowed, "Jerry, I'll be back later or I'll catch you tomorrow." And with that he was out the door.

I was utterly amazed that having only met the man once - eight months earlier - he would even remember where I was from - much less nearly remember my name. After all we had only been introduced that one time. I expressed that feeling to the barber, Jerry, who said, "That's how a guy like him gets to be a guy like him. He never forgets anyone!"

I never saw Jimmie Davis again, but I will always remember those two encounters with "The Singing Governor". He must have been quite a guy!

It was with interest 21 years later, that I noted the news article of Governor Davis' passing in November, 2000. He was 101 years of age and had lived longer than any one who had ever inhabited a Governor's Mansion in any state.

The story didn't mention any details about the funeral service, but I would be surprised if "You Are My Sunshine" was not one of the musical selections.

No comments: