Monday, September 3, 2007

A Special Privilege

Last night I had the privilege of baptizing one of my grandsons.

Two of our four grandsons are now baptized believers in Jesus Christ, and what a comfort that is. As I get older the sense of urgency grows in me to see others come to Christ. (see my blog post of August 23 "Bring the Little Children to Jesus") I am so thankful that two of our grandchildren have made that decision. Quint was first. He was baptized by his father, Jay, at their church in the New Orleans area. We couldn't be there on Easter Sunday to see the special event, but we were blessed to receive the photos via email. Quint is a second grader in a Christian school and has been taught about Jesus since his birth. When the Holy Spirit began to deal with his heart, he responded and accepted Christ by faith.

Will was next. Like Quint, he has been brought up in a Christian home and in church. He has had the benefit of Bible teaching at church and at home. Neither of the boys were "pressured" by their parents or teachers to accept Christ. Thankfully the adults around them knew to simply present the message of love and forgiveness in Christ and were sensitive to the Holy Spirit's direction. Both of the boys can explain what God has done in their lives and how they came to be saved. Both of them can use the "Evangicube" to share the plan of salvation.

Last night was special for me. Linda and I had planned to attend Rose Hill Baptist Church in Ashland, KY as soon as we learned the date of Will's baptism. Randy Spurgeon agreed to fill the pulpit for me at Westmoreland Baptist Church so we could attend the service in Kentucky. We certainly just planned on being part of the congregation there, but I had a pleasant surprise in store. Pastor Ronnie Mayes and the Rose Hill congregation, knowing that I was Will's grandfather and also a Baptist Pastor, graciously offered to allow me to perform the ordinance. What a joy that was! I have had the blessing of baptizing both of my sons and now one of my grandsons. I want to thank Dr. Mayes and his good folks for allowing me this unexpected privilege.

It was great to renew old acquaintences with a number of friends at Rose Hill. The service was good and Will's father, Ben, sang a solo and did an excellent job. Pastor Mayes brought an excellent message from Hebrews 1: 4-20 in a series he is doing on Sunday nights. With us at the service were Will's other grandparents, Lance and Linda Clanton, and his great grandfather, Burgess Bowling and his friend Mary Ann Taylor. It was special to think that Linda, Lance, my Linda and I were all present in North Carolina for Will's birth. Now here we were to see him publicly starting his new life in Christ.

I have long known that I am going to Heaven when I die. Now, along with Linda and the boys and their wives, I know that two of my grandsons will be there too. My fervent prayer is that Their little brothers Canon and Asher will also be sensitive to the Spirit of the Lord and respond positively whe He begins to deal with them in their lives.

No comments: