Monday, August 20, 2007

Do You Mind If I Brag A Little?

You have probably seen the bumper sticker that says, "Let Me Tell You About My Grandchildren". Well, I use to see those things around and think, "Those people really needed to get a life". Of course that was before I ever had any grandchildren of my own. January 25, 2000 changed everything about my concept of grandchildren. That's when Linda and I met the first of our four grandsons. (In case you haven't figured it out, those are the little guys that are surrounding me in the photo on the top left side of this page.)

The first of the boys was Caudle Jerry Adkins V. He is Jay and Michelle's young 'un. Boy were we all proud of that big baby! Quint "discovered America" at Kings Daughters Medical Center in Ashland, KY. We called him "Quint" because he is the fifth "Caudle" in the Adkins family. He carries the name of his father, grandfather, great grandfather and two great grandfathers. (that's quite a bit of baggage for one little guy). Quint is 7 years old now and is a second grader at Believer's Life Academy (where his mother teaches 7th & 8th grade) in Gretna, Louisiana, just across the river from New Orleans. Quint is sharp as a tack and very creative. The questions he asks are well thought out, and probing. He already appreciates family and his heritage and seems to feel conected to me when we are able to be together two or three times a year. I am also happy to report that Quint accepted Jesus as his Savior this spring and was baptized by his father on Easter Sunday. Now he is my grandson AND my "little brother" in the Lord.

Almost a year after Quint was born, grandson number two came along. William Benjamin Adkins was born in the Naval Hospital at Camp Lejeune Marine Corps base in Jacksonville, North Carolina. His father, Benji, was just finishing a four year tour of duty with the Marines when "Will the Thrill" made his arrival on January 3rd of 2001. Leigh Anne had just graduated in December from UNC Wilmington with a Bachelors Degree in Studio Art. She went into labor early on New Year's Day 2001 and left for the base hospital. Linda and I immediately headed for North Carolina to be there along with the Clantons (Leigh Anne's folks) for the birth of the new baby. About the time we made it to Beckley, WV we got the cell phone call that the military doctors said she was not in labor and were sending her home. We continued on the trip and were there when he finally made his arrival two days later. I always have wished that he had been born on the first day they went to the hospital. If he had, his birthday would have been 01/01/01. Due to his living within a close proximity and his place in the birth order, I have been able to spend more time with Will than any of the other grandsons. He has a sweet spirit, but he plays flag football and "Upward" Soccer with a competitive intensity that you don't often see in a 6 year old. Will is athletically gifted and is an excellent student in the first grade at Russell, KY Primary School - right across the street from Russell Middle School where his Dad teaches and coaches Basketball.

Next, came Canon Josiah Adkins, born November 29, 2004 at Oschner Medical Center in New Orleans, Louisiana. Linda had flown down to New Orleans for Thanksgiving to be with Jay, Michelle, and Quint; and to help out around the house for the first few days after the birth of the baby. Canon weighed in at over 11 pounds! Unfortunately Linda didn't get to stay there very long. I had been sick for a few weeks, and the day after Canon was born I was hospitalized back here for blood transfusions and tests to determine the cause of the blood loss. She rushed back here, and within a week of his birth, we learned that I had Colon Cancer - stage four and incurable. How did Dickens say it? "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." Canon has proven to be a live wire and such a "spittin' image" of his dad that he could be called "Chip" - as in chip off the old block. He was only nine months old when the family had to evacuate New Orleans for Hurricane Katrina. Pretty memorable first year! Canon has been a blessing to us in more ways than one. Every time I see the little guy, I am reminded that he represents how long I have survived my malignancy. It's good to see him growing so big and strong. God has been so good to us. Obviously I hope that I see many more birthdays for that little guy!

Grandson number four, Matthew Asher Adkins, was born May 12, 2005 at Kings Daughters Medical Center in Ashland. I was in the middle of the second six month course of my chemotherapy treatments when Asher arrived. In fact I was scheduled for a treatment on that day and was able to be there at the hospital for his birth, but had to leave shortly thereafter for the Cancer Center. Sure had some great news to share with the chemo nurses and my fellow patients that day! Asher is a great kid. The Hebrew name "Asher" means "happy" and he lives up to the name. He has a little gap between his two front teeth that he shows regularly with that big smile. Like most Adkins babies, he didn't have any hair for a long time. Once it came in , however, it was strawberry blond and has curls that lay in little ringlets all over his head. I jokingly say he looks like a little boy out of the 50's. He's a dead ringer for his mom when she was his age (that's a good thing) but his hair isn't as red as hers was. He and his big brother usually come over on Friday evenings and spend the night with us. It gives their mom and dad a date night, and allows me and Mamaw to spend a little extra time with the boys. We only wish Quint and Canon were close enough to stay with us as well.

So, there it is. Pardon me for bragging, but I'm pretty proud of those four grandsons. I've got a special title for each of them. Quint is my "sidekick", Will is my "little buddy", Canon is my "pardner" and Asher is my "pal". I love them all tremendously and each one is special to me.

Maybe I need to "get a life", but could anybody tell me where I could get one of those bumper stickers?

Postscript:
While typing this post, Jay called. He and Canon were on the way home from Children's Hospital in New Orleans where Canon had been x-rayed and treated for a fractured fibula down near the ankle. He had twisted his ankle and fallen a couple of days ago, but popped back up and went on about his activities. Today they called from his day care center and said he had fallen and seemed to have hurt his ankle. Jay took him to the hospital and learned of the fracture. More important than the fracture itself is what else the x-rays showed. The doctor pointed out two or three "lesions" in the bone which had apparently weakened it to the point that it was easy to break. They put a cast on the leg and said that they will be keeping a close check on the situation. There are a number of unanswered questions here. Please pray for Canon.

No comments: