Thursday, August 9, 2007

Are You Wired For 110 Or 220?

I heard someone say once that there are two types of people who work with electricity. One is an electrician and the other is a fool. Electricity is a subject of which I have very little understanding. Therefore, being neither an electrician, nor a fool, I generally try to steer clear of electricity. I don't know an "amp" from an "ohm". In fact, one could write a rather large book with what I DON’T know about electricity.

I do know there is a difference in the two types of wiring in my house and that differance has to do with voltage. Most of my house is wired for 110 volts, which handles all the receptacles, light switches, small appliances, etc. There are some larger appliances, however, like my range and clothes dryer that run on 220 volts. Now, while I do not know every detail about electricity, I do know that each appliance runs on one or the other, but not both. You can’t run what’s wired for 220 on 110 or vice versa. No need to try. It just won’t work, and you’ll have real trouble if you try.

Thinking of the numbers 110 and 220 reminds me of a couple of verses that Paul the Apostle included in his letter to the churches in Galatia. These verses are chapter 1 verse 10 and chapter 2 verse 20. (Galatians 1:10 and 2:20) When we read these verses, it should
challenge us to determine if we are personally “wired for 110 or 220.” Let’s consider that for just a moment.

Galatians 1:10 and Galatians 2: 20 show us there are only two ways we can go in our Christian lives. We can seek to please men, or we can seek to please God. Here are what those verses say.

Galatians 1: 10 "For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ."

Galatians 2: 20 “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

There is something about most of us that wants to please others. It's a pretty natural thing to do. However, there are situations in our lives that call upon us to make the decision as to whether we want to please others or please our God. Sometimes the question is are we going to please God or please ourselves. The answer to both questions should be a no brainer. If Jesus is Lord of our lives, we will naturally seek to please Him.

One of my heroes in ministry, the late Adrian Rogers, once said, "In each person's life there is a cross and a throne. If you are still on the throne of your life, Jesus is still on the cross. However, if you are on the cross (Galatians 2:20) Jesus is on the throne." Every thought and deed of our lives will be centered on pleasing Him.

How about you today?

Are you wired for 110 or 220?

No comments: