Saturday, July 7, 2007

07-07-07

Today is one of those easy dates to remember. I suppose that those who believe in luck would say that this would be the luckiest day of them all. I am not so inclined. Not that I am a pessimist - far from it. I just don't believe in luck - good or bad. Rabbit's feet, horseshoes, black cats, broken mirrors, and walking under ladders are irrelevant. There is a God who controls time and events. Nothing happens outside of the purpose or the permission of our Sovereign Lord.

Look at what God says regarding Himself in Isaiah 46: 9-10:

"For I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like Me,
Declaring the end from the beginning,
And from ancient times things that are not yet done,
Saying, ‘My counsel shall stand,
And I will do all My pleasure,’"

Has it ever occurred to you that nothing ever just occurred to God? He is in control. He orders time and events. He "...declares the end from the beginning...". Now, volumes have been written about the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man. Theologians have long debated where one concept leaves off and the other begins, and I certainly can't definitively answer that question. I do know that He doesn't move us around like pieces on a chess board, or program us to obey like "Stepford Wives". Furthermore, we also know that our attitudes and actions do have an effect on our lives, and on the lives of others. But remember that in spite of all of that, from the beginning, God knew what was coming, and he says, "... My counsel shall stand, and I will do all My pleasure...". In the end, His purposes will be accomplished. He IS in control of everything.

So, what is my responsibility? What is yours? How do we respond to the sovereignty of Almighty God? By taking note of His consel on the matter. The "Manufacturer's Handbook" (the Bible) is full of instruction in the matter. One of my favorite passages spelling out our responsibility is found in Proverbs 3: 1-10:

"My son, do not forget my law,
But let your heart keep my commands;
For length of days and long life
And peace they will add to you.
Let not mercy and truth forsake you;
Bind them around your neck,
Write them on the tablet of your heart,
And so find favor and high esteem
In the sight of God and man.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the Lord and depart from evil.
It will be health to your flesh,
And strength to your bones.
Honor the Lord with your possessions,
And with the firstfruits of all your increase;
So your barns will be filled with plenty,
And your vats will overflow with new wine."

So, no matter if it's Friday the 13th or 07-07-07 - Go with God and have a great day.

No comments: