Friday, June 22, 2007

Tribute to a Godly Mother

Since I included an article about my Dad, in the spirit of the fairness doctrine, here is a column I posted in our church newsletter in May, 2007. My brothers and I are blessed with great parents. Mom is suffering from Alzheimers, and the last 10 years have not been kind to her, but she still retains the same sweet spirit we remember for a lifetime.

The Apostle Paul makes quite a statement in 2 Timothy 1:5 regarding the impact that the faith of a Godly mother can have upon her family for generations. There he writes, “ I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. (NIV) Mothers have the power to make a tremendous difference in the lives of their children and grandchildren — good or bad. I thank God that I was blessed with a mother who, as a young girl, gave her life to Jesus Christ. She has faithfully served Him for over 64 years, and has been a positive Christ like force in the lives of her three sons and our wives; her grandchildren; and now four great grandchildren. I am more proud of, and thankful for my mother than words can possibly express. I have for nearly 57 years been witness of her faithfulness to her God, her husband and family, her church, and her many friends. As a child I could hear her, behind closed doors, praying for me and my two younger brothers. Even though I am not close enough to hear those prayers today, I know that she is still offering them up for us, and that Almighty God hears — and answers! Mom has cooked countless meals, done thousands of pounds of dirty laundry, washed a mountain of dishes, and spent many of her waking hours in a never ending battle against dirt. He has served as dietician and chief medical officer of the home, administering medicine as needed along with liberal doses of love. She could tend to a skinned knee, high fever, or little boys broken heart with equal skill. She has been a homework helper, chauffeur, PTA member, home room mother, and Little League fan, extrodinaire
Beyond all the jobs that naturally go with motherhood, Mom carried another load that would break many strong folks. Since 1949 she has been a preacher’s wife. Through all of Dad’s years in ministry (as a pastor and evangelist) Mom has been his faithful partner. Only a preacher’s family can understand what all that entails. Beside her duty to her own family she has been a friend, mentor, and counselor to many other ladies and young ladies. She’s taught Sunday School, labored faithfully in many Vacation Bible Schools, and been there for Dad both at home and in church and in countless revivals. All this while never shirking her responsibility to her children. I’ve seen her in joy and in sorrow; in times of victory, and seasons of hurt; good health and sickness — always faithful to God. She has been the most unselfish and loving person I have ever known, and through everything, she has always had a faithful testimony to the mercy and grace of her Lord and Savior. It is certainly not difficult for me to believe God when He says, “ My grace is sufficient for thee, my strength is made perfect in weakness” ( 2 Corinthians 12:11) because I’ve seen it proven in the life of my precious Mother.
It seems that Solomon must have known my Mom from what he wrote in Proverbs 31, “Her husband is known in the gates when he sitteth among the elders of the land...Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in the time to come. She openeth her mouth with wisdom and in her tongue is the law of kindness. She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. Many daughters have done virtuously but thou excellest them all. Favor is deceitful, beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.”
Time takes it toll on all of us. We know that these bodies are mortal and are not able to live forever. That’s why one day, God will give his faithful children a new glorified body. But for now, we move ahead in this flesh. Eyesight dims for some us. Hearing fades, and our youthful vigor lessens as the years progress. Various illness and diseases seem to lay hold of us and we realize this is just a part of living. Mom has been facing a problem that cruelly effects the memory. Instead of being angry, or selfishly asking “why”, she is facing it with the dignity and grace that only God can give. In a moment of concern some time ago she told my brother, Bruce, that she was afraid the time would come when she might no longer remember her family. Bruce summed it up for all of us when he told her, “Mom, don’t you worry about that. Even if that did happen, we’ll never forget who YOU are.” So, in this month that holds both Mother’s Day and your birthday, let me just say “Thank you Mom. We love you.”

No comments: