Wednesday, June 24, 2015

We Need Each Other!

I don’t know about you, but I am rejoicing in this wonderful (HOT) Summertime weather.  Yes, I know it’s rather uncomfortable at times, and it can aggravate health issues with a number of people, but on a personal level, I really appreciate the warmth, and the longer daylight hours of Summer.

This is especially true in light of the last two brutal winters we have experienced here in our area.

The very memory of the subzero temps, freezing water pipes, dead car batteries, deep snowfalls and icy conditions brings a chill to my bones!  The older I get, the worse the winter conditions seem to me.

In thinking of winter, it reminds me of an experience I had a few years ago, which taught me an important spiritual lesson about our relationship to others.

We had received a 12 inch snowfall which closed down I-75 and most of I-64 in Kentucky.  After the highways had reopened, I had need to travel from Ashland to Louisville for a meeting.  The scenery was breathtaking.  The wet, heavy snow caused many of the evergreen trees to bow under the load of white stuff.  Several thick groves of trees that I passed looked like a picture out of a story book.

But, in addition to the groves of trees which looked so beautiful, I saw many trees that stood ALONE alongside I-64.  Without the protection and support of having other trees to lean against, many of the beautiful trees broke off and fell to the ground.  This was in contrast to the trees that were in groves.  Even though they were also bent under the blanket of the heavy white stuff, they leaned one against the other.  In those thick groves none of the evergreens were broken down.

It caused me to think of the importance of standing together in time of trouble.  There is strength in leaning one one another.  As a pastor, I know the importance of fellowship among believers.  In time of difficulty, it’s important to run TO your church, not FROM it!

No comments: