Friday, March 12, 2010

"I'm Just Sayin'..."



A Federal Appeals Court has upheld the phrases, "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance, and "In God we trust" on our money. I am glad for that. The lawsuit was foolish. We Christians got all up in arms about it. Now that we have the ruling from the appeals court, the beloved phrases stay in the pledge and on the money. We're all very happy. Now, my question is this, "What has this done to reduce the lostness in America?" (I'm just sayin'...)





*******



I spent most of the day yesterday visiting sick folks in two hospitals. It is part of what I do as a Pastor. I made TWO trips to the same hospital to visit five different people. The reason for the two trips was an important appointment I had on the other side of town, and I didn't get every one visited on the same trip. One was having surgery yesterday, one today, one in ICU, two with other ailments. Then, after visiting two other patients at a different hospital I made a brief stop at the church to gather some work to take home for the night. Now probably only a Pastor can appreciate this, but I started home at 7:30 PM, then, three blocks from my home, I got a phone call telling me about one of our elderly members who is in the SAME HOSPITAL I had already visited twice...
Apparently she had been there several days, and I never got the word. (I'm just sayin')



*******



News outlets are reporting that Tiger Woods has completed his rehab, and is now ready to return to the PGA Tour. Reports this morning are that he has hired Ari Fleischer (former Press Secretary for President George W. Bush) to "manage his return to the tour". The world's greatest golfer needs Ari Fleischer to get him back in the game??? (I'm just sayin'...)



*******



The Great Commission Resurgence Task Force, appointed last summer by SBC President Johnny Hunt, has made it's interim report to the SBC Executive Committee. http://www.pray4gcr.com/ The report points out some glaring problems in a convention that has grown in the number of churches, but declined rapidly in the number of baptisms. It shines a bright light on the fact that we are tremendously ineffective in reaching young people with the Gospel. It shows that there are deficiencies in our efforts to reach several large metropolitan areas of our nation. While the task force's report makes some pretty good suggestions on the surface, one has to read between the lines to decipher the real intent of some of its major points. The GCR task force is now in full spin mode, with many of the high profile members of the task force putting out articles, bragging on what a great job they have done. As it stands right now, the actions recommended would emaciate a number of our State Conventions, blur the lines between International and North American Mission efforts, and advance the "cult of personality" of some high profile mega church pastors. Perhaps I am too cynical, but it appears that some of the report - especially the part on "Great Commission Giving" is akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, instead of dealing with the hole in the hull! (I'm just sayin'...)



*******



After the 2008 election, House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi, promised the most transparent and ethical Congress ever. Well? The ethical part has been a monumental failure, but you CAN see right through them, can't you? (I'm just sayin'...)



*******

Daniel Savage had his first opportunity to lead worship yesterday in the chapel service at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. He did a great job! It's hard for me to understand how he could have been overlooked for so long as a potential worship leader in Leavell Chapel. Daniel may have been the best kept secret on campus, but not at FBC Westwego, where he has done a tremendous job of leading worship for a number of years now. (I'm just sayin'...)

No comments: