Monday, October 20, 2008

A Wonderful Birthday Present


Today is my 58th birthday. Basically after 57 of these, the next birthday is just another day. Doctor's appointment at 10:15, Lunch at noon, radio programs to record this afternoon, and sermon preparation to do. No celebration planned. In fact, Linda is even out of town for a work related conference in Louisville and she won't be back home till late this evening. Just another day, but considering my prognosis about four years ago, it's a day I relish. (Just like EVERY day!)


Church members and other dear friends have been very kind with cards and various gifts, both for birthday and Pastor Appreciation month. I am so blessed to have so many wonderful friends and loved ones. To borrow from Frank Capra, "It's a Wonderful Life". In the midst of all the cards and expressions of love, one special gift stands out.


Linda and I are blessed with two fine sons, two godly daughters in law, and four wonderful grandsons. Two of the boys live here in the Ashland area, and two live in New Orleans. We have the two local boys most every Friday night for a sleep over at our house, but we rarely get to visit with the two from Louisiana. This year I have been blessed to be with all four grandsons within four days of my birthday. That is a present that is worth more than anything I can imagine. True, it would have been nice to have them all together (that may come at Thanksgiving - hopefully) but for now, being with the New Orleans boys on Thursday and the Kentucky boys on Friday was a very special thrill for me at birthday time.


I am so thankful that God has spared my life one more year, allowing me to watch Quint, Will, Canon, and Asher grow. I am blessed beyond measure and can certainly relate to what the Psalmist wrote in Psalm 127: 3-5. "Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them; They shall not be ashamed, But shall speak with their enemies in the gate."


Please indulge me for a moment on my birthday, while I pull out my "electronic wallet" and show you some photos of Caudle Jerry Adkins V, William Benjamin Adkins, Canon Josiah Adkins, and Matthew Asher Adkins. I'm proud of these guys!







No comments: