Thursday, August 21, 2008

Enough Reward Cards Already!

Have you had enough of the "Rewards Cards" that more and more retailers are issuing? I'm not just talking about credit cards that get you everything from frequent flyer miles, to building points for "free gasoline" or other products. I'm referring to the growing number of retailers who are offering special discounts to those who are bearers of the little plastic cards that they swipe at the check out counter.




Besides the credit cards that already fill my wallet, the old billfold now is bulging with these cards that allow us discounts on groceries, drugs, health and beauty aids, or gasoline. If your wallet is not full of them, chances are your key chain now carries several of the miniature cards with the magic bar codes on the back. I've had a Kroger Plus Card for several years now. I was informed that I have to produce it at the cash register or else I'll have to pay the top dollar for my groceries. Linda regularly uses hers at the Kroger gas pumps to get a savings of several cents per gallon. Seems like a good deal.



If I happen to stop by the local Superamerica convenience store to pick up a Twinkie or bottle of Sprite, I am asked to produce my Speedy Rewards card to add to my speedy rewards account balance, which at last count it really didn't amount to much. At the nearby Foodland supermarket where I often stop to do some shopping on the way home from work, I was signed up a while back for their new rewards program. Each purchase will build rewards toward the purchase of gasoline at participating stations. I recently asked what my balance was and was pleased to learn that I now have amassed no less than $0.85 toward my future free fill up - if, of course, I live long enough and am able to find a participating location.
Yesterday I made the monthly trip to the Rite Aid Pharmacy where I spend a small fortune on my many medications. The Pharmacist proudly handed me a new plastic card which entitles me to a 10% discount on any Rite Aid brand products. Unfortunately, the card does not apply to prescriptions. Oh well, it was a nice gesture any way. One day, I may be able to save $.50 on a package of their generic toilet paper. I can't wait...
Now, I am all about saving money on consumer spending, but do these things really offer a
discount at all? Could it be that the stores have artificially inflated the prices to allow for these "discounts"? If so, isn't it rather discriminatory to charge more to some poor "outsider" or visitor to the community who hasn't been priviliged to acquire the valuable plastic? (that happened to me last summer at a Food Lion store in White Sulpher Springs, WV. Boy did I feel ostricized!) Furthermore, isn't it likely that the whole program costs the retailer quite a bit to purchase the cards, the hundreds of little "savings certificates" on the shelves throughout the store - not to mention the cost of administering the program? Not long ago, arriving at the check out counter at Kroger . I discovered that I did not have my Plus card with me. "No problem" the gum chewing cashier intoned. "I'll take care of you." She deftly produced a Plus card from a drawer, swiped it across the scanner, and promptly saved me $1.13 on my $72.85 total. Here's a thought - if they are really interested in saving the customer some of their hard earned money, why not ditch the whole program, and just lower the prices?
At least the experience at Kroger's has taught me that I can horse the system and still get the discount! Now I can at least lighten my wallet by one piece of plastic.
That's a good start...

4 comments:

TheHero said...

The reason for the cards is so they can know your spending habits and be able to market to you better. Thats why you get coupons from Krogers for similar stuff that you buy. It all about knowing the

Anonymous said...

I know. I receive the coupons and sometimes even recorded telephone messages. It is a marketing tool and I know that, but I think it is just getting silly. Even our local newspaper has a similar gimmick.
Just give me the discount, and I'll be much more loyal than I would if the retailer thinks I'm a mud headed moron.

Anonymous said...

I think our information is worth more than a half tank of gas. There is an entire market out there for buying and selling of corporate information en mass.

Don't you think it's funny how every credit card company on the planet has our address?

Plastic Cards said...

Hi,
Thanks for sharing your useful feed back about to the Reward Card and Credit Cards.
I think the credit card now is the part of peoples life's,It is more useful for the users