Monday, March 10, 2008

"You Can't Do Wrong And Get By"

When I was in the seventh grade I did something very stupid. Actually I did a lot of stupid things in the seventh grade, but this was incredibly foolish. Now I will spare you the details (and myself the embarrassment) but suffice it to say that I pulled a stunt that got me in big trouble at Beverly Hills Junior High School, and in turn, I had major problems at home. Looking back at the episode I can't help but ask myself, "Man what were you thinking?"

I thought I had fooled my parents, and I was foolish enough to think that what I did would go unnoticed at school. What was I thinking? I was caught in my misdeed almost immediately. The irony of the whole situation is that my punishment at school paled in comparison to the discipline I faced at the hands of my father. Looking back, it was possibly the last time I was ever spanked by my Dad - but it was certainly one of the most memorable. In those days the most severe cases of discipline warranted the use of Dad's size 42 belt. He didn't "beat" us, or apply corporal punishment in anger. But when the belt came off, we knew we were in trouble - plenty.

My memory fails me as to how many "licks' I received that evening, but I do remember this. Between each one, Dad said "Son, you can't do wrong and get by!" Whack! "You can't do wrong and get by!" Whack! "You can't do wrong and get by!" Get the message? I certainly did. I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject of physiology, but there seems to be some correlation between audio learning by hearing repeated phrases, punctuated by stinging pain to the backside. Dad's method was effective enough to have registered that message in my mind for the next 44 years or so. Now, that's not to say that's the last time I ever did anything wrong, but every time I did, I remembered, "You can't do wrong and get by".

The lesson I learned from my father is that our actions have consequences. Furthermore, nothing will remain hidden forever. Eventually it will come out. When it does, it often affects more than the foolish malefactor himself.

People do incredibly stupid things. Even people in high public office. Even people in positions of responsibility. Even people who often set themselves up to be viewed as champions of morality. When they do wrong - and get caught - it always brings up the question, "What were they thinking?" The latest example is that of New York's Governor, Elliot Spitzer (shown above). Today, in a hastily called news conference, Spitzer apologized to his family and the people of New York for his actions that came to light as a result of a federal investigation of an internet prostitution ring. This father of three daughters and husband of over 20 years admitted to paying $4,300 to a (obviously) high priced call girl while in Washington, DC on the night before Valentine's Day. He was caught through a conversation picked up in a wire tap used to investigate the illegal interstate activity of the "Emperor's Club", an online prostitution network.

What is amazing in this whole thing is not that a man had a moral failure. It's a sad fact, but that in itself is not what is shocking. What is unbelievable is that this well known, high profile Governor of the great state of New York thought he could do such a thing and not get caught! In fact, before being elected Governor, Spitzer had made his mark as a Federal Prosecutor, busting organized crime, racketeers, and even a couple of prostitution rings. He was elected Governor in 2006, touting himself as the champion of decency and morality. What could he possibly have been thinking back in February?

But, unfortunately, Spitzer is not alone in such stupid behavior and poor judgment. Consider the recent shenanigans of Idaho's Senator Larry Craig in an airport men's room, and Louisiana's Senator David Vitter's extramarital dalliances. Then there is also the sterling example of one William Jefferson Clinton who's shameful actions in the Oval Office of the White House with a young intern, were only eclipsed by his deceit of lying to the American people and under oath in a sworn deposition. The 60's gave us Teddy Kennedy and his ill fated drive with Mary Jo Kopechne. Back in the 70's there was powerful Congressman Wilbur Mills cavorting with a stripper named Fanne Fox, (who was billed as the "Argentine Bombshell"); President Richard Nixon and company with their illegal Watergate activities; and Vice President Nelson Rockefeller, dying in the Manhattan apartment of his mistress. The 80's brought us presidential candidate Gary Hart caught in photos with a woman other than his wife on a yacht appropriately named "Monkey business". Recent former Governors of Kentucky and West Virginia also were exposed in their extramarital affairs while in office. What on earth were these guys thinking?

Politicians don't have a corner on that market. Far from it. The newspapers and tabloids are full of stories of prominent business people, entertainment figures, and yes, even ministers who have been caught in various deeds of misconduct -done in secret, but eventually coming to light. Anybody remember televangelists Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart , and Colorado megachurch pastor and president of the National Association of Evangelicals, Ted Haggerty?

These are all public figures - high profile individuals who should know that any kind of criminal, unethical, or immoral activities are going to come out. It's bound to happen sooner or later. One has to feel sorry - not for the culprits - but for their family members who are hurt by their selfish and stupid actions. Just seeing the face of Mrs. Spitzer during that short news conference was enough to cause almost anyone to feel her pain and embarrassment.

The list goes on and on. But it is important to remember that we don't have to be famous public officials to do stupid things. Furthermore, while our actions might not be revealed here and splashed across the headlines or the evening news, one day, they will come out. God has a record. We should all take note and remember that one day all of the things done in secret will be made known.

How did Dad say it?

"You can't do wrong and get by!"

2 comments:

annie said...

Well, what did you do in the 7th grade?

C.J. Adkins said...

That is privileged and confidential information.
The misdeed will remain unnamed (although it may be on my permanent record card!) They always threaten to put bad stuff on that...