Friday, November 16, 2007

Another Perspective on Mowing

I received a great email from my good friend Rob Francis last night.

Linda and I have known Rob and Cheryl since the early 80's when their son, Robbie and our younger son, Benji, played little league baseball together. In fact, they continued on as teammates through Babe Ruth League (where Rob helped me coach the Eagles), and for the Ashland Tomcats of Paul Blazer High School, and on a summer traveling team, the Ashland Athletics. Our older son, Jay later served as Bible teacher at Rose Hill Christian School, where Rob and Cheryl's beautiful daughters, Lisa and Bethany, attended school. Rob and Cheryl attend the Church of the Nazarene and Linda and I are Baptists (some differences, but we are one in Christ) so we are more than just friends - we're family.

Rob's email was in response to my November 9th post "The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" and it gives another perspective on that job that some of us hate to do. I don't believe Rob would mind me sharing it since it really emphasises a wonderful truth. Here it is:

CJ,
I hope everything is going well. You're still in my prayers. I do enjoy the daily devotional and also your blog. I read the one for cutting grass in amusement. It's funny how people can look at things from a different perspective. You are glad there won't be any grass to cut for a while, and when I finally have to put my lawnmower up after the last cutting which usually for me is between Christmas and New Years I will feel quite the opposite of you.
Cutting grass(I usually cut three times a week during the summer and believe me it needs it. Of course I feed mine and manicure it a lot) is a stress reliever for me. After being cooped up in an office 10-12 hours a day, answering phone calls, going to meetings, answering emails, dealing with accounting and personnel problems, etc. I enjoy being outside enjoying God's creation. In fact with the lawnmower blaring and ear plugs in my ear is when I have some of my best alone time with the Lord. There are no distractions, just me and HIM with the lawnmower running the interference for US. In fact during many of those prayer times the Lord has brought you to my mind, and I've prayed for you. So if your in my neighborhood and you see me smiling or maybe a tear running down my cheek (I'm really not crazy like some may think) while I'm cutting grass you'll know it's just me and the Lord having a good time. So what some look at as a drudgery I look forward to because it's just me, the lawnmower, and most importantly God! Anyway there's my take on grass cutting from a different perspective. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Your brother in Christ,
Rob


The old saying goes, "One man's trash is another man's treasure." I'll coin a new one. "One man's drudgery is another man's pleasure." On first thought, my mind would recall the words of those "great philosophers" Sly and the Family Stone - "Different Strokes for Different Folks". Others might say "Whatever floats your boat." (Please feel free to choose your own cliche') People have different tastes - likes and dislikes. (That's why they make chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry!) But this goes beyond simple differences in preference. Rob has found a way to make what some of us would think of as a chore, into a time of blessing and communion with his Heavenly Father. I spend my most productive quiet time with God early in the mornings and during travel time in the car. Mowing is therapeutic for Rob - providing a break from the rigors of his job - but he also uses the time (and the earplugs) to have some extra "quiet time" with God.

What a great lesson for all of us!

The Apostle Paul instructs us to "Pray without ceasing". This is a reminder that we should always be in a state of communication with our Father in Heaven. I can't think of a better use of that mowing time then to just get alone with HIM as Rob does.

Good word, Brother!

I am also thankful that Rob uses some of that prayer time to pray for me! I firmly believe that one of the reasons that I am still on this earth has a lot to do with the prayers on my behalf, from friends like Rob - from here to literally half way around the world.

Now, with that "serious stuff" said, let me offer a couple of other thoughts:

  • I have a "yard". Rob has a "lawn"!
  • I cut and hack. Rob feeds, manicures, and mows.
  • Rob has great patience. I am still growing in that grace.
  • Rob ENJOYS mowing grass. I like it a little better than getting a root canal.

Several years ago, when Linda and I were making decisions about "end of life" things, we decided to purchase mausoleum crypts at Golden Oaks Memorial Gardens rather than two cemetery (in ground) lots. Our sons were incredulous. No one in our immediate family had ever been buried anywhere but "6 feet under". Jay said, "I can't believe you're going to be buried in a FILE CABINET!" Benji simply asked, "Why a mausoleum?"

Half in jest, I explained to them that I was rather sure I would not be able to "rest in peace" if I knew that someone had to MOW GRASS over me to keep the grave site looking good! Do you get the idea? I don't like mowing grass...but we have already established that, haven't we?

One point where Rob and I both agree is the statement he made in the email, "I enjoy being outside enjoying God's creation."

Me too, brother!

Rob enjoys God's creation as he mows the lawn. I enjoy it on the rare occasions when I can get out on the golf course - where SOMEBODY ELSE mows the grass!

No comments: